Confessions of a Bookworm

Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher When it was first published, this series was one of my favorites in the fantasy genre. Now, re-reading it on the heels of reading an absolutely breathtaking trilogy for the first time, I find myself disappointed. I still enjoyed it, but there's very little depth to this book. It's riddled with clichés, which isn't unexpected but which seemed far less noticeable when I was a teenager reading it for the first time. Maybe I've become more jaded (and far pickier) in the last few years, or maybe it was just bad timing to choose to re-read this. Once I realized I wasn't going to find any significant emotional depth here, I was able to just enjoy it for what it was – a fast-paced, fun romp with some interesting (but not always incredibly developed) characters. I'd forgotten just about everything that happened in this book, which I suppose says something right there about how forgettable it can be. :

I do still harbor a lot of love for Tavi and Kitai and Bernard and several other characters. I just wish they were more…well, more. I wish we could see more of the development that must all happen in the background or the space of time between books. That would probably go a long way to giving them the depth they're lacking.

But as I said, this was still fun, and I'm glad to be re-reading the series.