Confessions of a Bookworm

White Knuckled Moments - Madeleine Ribbon I almost didn't read this, in spite of a strong recommendation, because I don't do well with doom-and-gloom stories or sad endings. I'm happy to say that this isn't anything like that! It was actually a very sweet slice-of-life look at a young man who knows he's going to die and simply wants to make the most of his life before that happens. And while there's never really any hope of a miraculous recovery (which would have annoyed me to no end, to be honest), there is still hope for happiness at the close of the story. I approve immensely of how that was handled, as well as Cory's illness in general and the way Tai was with him.

That said, there were things that bugged me me. Nothing I can really pinpoint and say "This was done badly!", but little things that added up. Cory coming out to his family was written well enough, but it didn't flow as naturally as I feel like it should have. The reactions seemed just a few shades off, both the good ones and the bad ones. Not quite as emotional as they could have been, I guess. Also sometimes the dialogue didn't seem as natural as it could have.

But regardles of the small issues I had, this really was a nice story to read, and I'm glad I picked it up. :)