Confessions of a Bookworm

Strength of the Pack - Kendall McKenna I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't enjoy military stories. I didn't before I got into the M/M genre, and being in the M/M genre hasn't changed it. There are very few that I can make it through reading, and fewer still that I actually like afterwards.

I do, however, love a good shifter story like nothing else. Which apparently outweighs my dislike of military stories, because I loved this from start to finish.

For one thing, it was so very different than other shifter stories. How often do you see a shifter hierarchy where you would get to witness an Alpha submit to anyone? I also really enjoyed that shifters are just a fact of life in this universe. Different from humans, but treated with the same amount of respect, not forced to stay hidden like in so many other stories out there. And the common tropes that were used are some of my favorites, so it's not like I minded that at all! :)

I don't know enough about the military to comment on how that aspect was handled, but for the most part, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A few areas where I had o seriously suspend my disbelief, but, well, it's a werewolf story. I can deal with that, to a point.

I do wish we'd gotten more background on how homosexuality is viewed in this world. It seems to be just another fact of life, but I'm still curious. I also wish we'd gotten any sort of background – or any mention at all really – of Lucas and Noah's families. What are were families like? We know that Noah was born a werewolf, but what about his parents, his siblings? All we really got to read about was the pack and pack bonds, but nothing about family, and that bugged me a bit.

But overall, I love this story a lot more than I thought I would, and I strongly recommend it for anyone looking for a werewolf story a bit outside of the ordinary. I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequels as well!